Content specialist and web production designer with writing, editing and training background. Extensive experience writing and editing in print and online media. Thirteen years experience in external communications on award-winning, industry-leading global corporate website. Nine years experience in local and global employee training.
Web Production Designer at ERNST & YOUNG (through Aquent staffing agency),
Cleveland……….2012 – present
Ernst & Young is one of the Big Four accounting firms and one of the largest professional services firms in the world. I design and build web pages and graphics for the US and Canadian firms.
- Produce pages promoting high-profile events covered by national news media.
- Adapt existing style sheet to create experimental site promoting new business unit.
- Initial short-term project extended indefinitely due to good site traffic and client feedback.
FREELANCE Content Specialist/Writer/Editor, Cleveland……….2010 – 2014
Provided writing and editorial services for self-published authors and local businesses. Clients included NetTrack Marketing, an SEO provider for B2B industrial manufacturing companies.
- Generated increased site visits and inquiries with blog posts and web copy for technical audience, focusing on search engine visibility.
- Edited memoirs and fiction manuscripts. Guided new authors on editor’s role, reader expectations, and industry standards.
Blogger/writer/editor/designer, Cleveland……….2010 – present
Created, designed and illustrated Adventures in Nutritional Therapy, a non-commercial blog focusing on non-prescription health solutions. Write 5 posts a month and curate related info on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
- Received positive review from New York Times bestselling author Seth Roberts.
- Acquired 2,000 Facebook business page fans using targeted ads.
Assistant Editor at ERNST & YOUNG, Cleveland……….2008 – 2010
One of a team of 3 people who wrote, edited, illustrated and produced the firm’s daily email newsletter for 40,000 employees in North, Central and South America and Israel.
- Edited 8 stories daily and wrote 2 weekly. Popularity of regular weekly item featuring employees’ photos resulted in increased budget from management.
- Redesigned the newsletter to accommodate changes in smart-gadget use and to streamline production process for regional editors. Increased readership allowed firm to reduce its reliance on other outlets for broadcasting info to employees.
Website Content Manager / Project Manager / Content Producer at ERNST & YOUNG, Cleveland……….1999 – 2008
Produced U.S. pages of ey.com, an external corporate website, in its evolution over a period of 9 years into 4 unique websites, each with a new team organization and responsibilities.
- Wrote copy for site’s business unit and marketing pages. Site won 7 Web Marketing Association WebAwards.
- Project-managed construction of websites for firm events covered by global business news media.
- Trained 30-member Bangalore, India team. Began transferring responsibilities after a few months.
- “Borrowed” by other departments to train employees via teleconference on firm initiatives (such as new visual ID), shortening learning time and reducing communications costs.
Staff Editor at BOOKS.COM, Cleveland………..1998 – 1999
Founded by Clevelander Charles Stack, Books.com was the very first online bookstore. It was purchased by Barnes and Noble in October 1999. As Staff Editor, I wrote copy and reviews for and designed 5 departments of the bookstore (see Writing).
- Overhauled Self-Help and Spirituality departments to expand customer base beyond 25 year-old males.
- Trained new editors on company’s copy style and guided development of writing skills.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION : B.A. in Government, Pomona College, Claremont, Calif. AFFILIATIONS : International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), Council of Smaller Enterprises (COSE)